Why you may need a personal trainer
By Steven Halladay
Getting into the gym and lifting heavy weights as a part of a healthy exercise program is finally becoming the “popular choice”. Looking back just a few years ago being fit, lifting weights and exercising was not nearly as common as it is today. No longer is it just “meat heads” and “cardio bunnies” going to the gym. Women and men both young and old now see the health, aesthetic and functional benefits of lifting weights and being more active and many are learning this through a personal trainer.
Although more and more people are seeking professional advice when they first enter a fitness facility, many still try to get by on their own. Of course with a little experience and a motivated spirit this can work very well for some. For those of you with little to no experience, getting a personal trainer, coach, fitness instructor (or whatever you want to call them) can be a very important piece of the puzzle.
Below are a few points to help you decide if getting a trainer is the right decision for you.
- If you have little to no experience in the gym, you need a trainer. Being sure you are doing things properly can fast track your success and help ensure you do not get injured.
- If you have been going to the gym for years and are struggling to get stronger, you need a trainer. Be sure they are strong themselves and have helped others become strong. Obviously you need to change things up and you may need outside help to do so correctly. Try seeking out someone who excels in the strength sports. Chances are they have overcome similar obstacles training themselves or others. It is easy to see that is a big part of what we do here.
- If you keep getting small nagging injuries or have an injury that just will not get better; you need a trainer and be sure they specialize in mobility and know how to help you return to play after injuries.
- If you want to lose weight and get to a healthier body weight but no matter how hard you work, you just cannot get there, you need a trainer. Make sure they specialize in nutrition. Being accountable to someone else can make all the difference for some.
- If you lack the motivation to get to the gym consistently, you need a trainer! Having a standing appointment may be all you need to get you back to training consistently.
- If you have a burning desire to conquer your goals, you (might) need a trainer. Very few of us have the motivation it takes to become great without a lot of help. Even some of the very best athletes and coaches at Mettle have coaches/trainers themselves.
Hopefully these few points help you decide if getting a personal trainer is the right fit for you. Here at Mettle Performance Training Center we have been in the business of helping people just like you for a long time. Don’t be intimidated by the strength sport successes of many of our members. Most of what we do here is help people just like you. Why settle for less than the best? Give us a call or shoot us an email. We will be happy to sit down and talk about helping you become a better you. Consultations are free.
Steven got his start in the industry training team sport athletes. After a short time he branched off into training people of all backgrounds including health and fitness, weight loss, recovery after stroke, injury recovery and most importantly strength sports. During his strength career he has been an IPF powerlifting national champion but now competes solely in Strongman. Steven is one of the top strongmen in Western Canada and has competed in more than 35 competitions in the last 5 years Follow him on Instagram and Facebook